The Commissioner's Office has issued the following Universal Ground Rules for use in all Major League ballparks this season. Ground Rules pertaining to individual parks are posted separately in those parks.
- Ball on the top step (lip) of the dugout is in play.
- No equipment is permitted to be left on the top step (lip) of the dugout. If a ball hits equipment left on the top step it is dead.
- A player is not permitted to step or go into a dugout to make a catch.
- A player is permitted to reach into a dugout to make a catch. If a player makes a catch outside the dugout and the player's momentum carries him into the dugout, then the catch is allowed and the ballis dead. See Rule5.09(a)(1) Comment.
- A batted ball in flight can be caught between or under railings and around screens.
- A catch may be made on the field tarp.
- Batted or thrown ball lodging in the rotating signage behind home plate or along first base or third base stands is out of play.
- Batted or thrown ball resting on the rotating signage behind home plate or along first base or third base stands is in play.
- The facings of railings surrounding the dugout and photographers areas are in play.
- Any cameras or microphones permanently attached on railings or along outfield walls are treated as part of the railings or outfield walls and are in play.
- Any recessed railings or poles that are in the dugout and photographers areas are out of play and should be marked with red to mark them out of play.
- Robotic cameras or audio equipment attached to the facing of the backstop screen are considered part of the screen.
- A batted ball striking the backstop camera or audio equipment is considered a dead ball.
- A thrown ball striking the backstop camera or audio equipment is considered in play.
- A ball striking the guy wires that support the backstop is a dead ball.
- A ball lodging behind or under canvas on field tarp is out of play.
- A ball striking the field tarp and rebounding onto the playing field is in play.
- No chairs can be brought out of the dugout or bullpen and onto the playing field.
- All yellow lines are in play.
- Ball striking facing over dugout or recessed steel railing: Out of Play.
- Batted fair ball striking railing on top of wall down the line in foul territory and rebounding onto playing field: In Play.
- Batted ball in flight striking the top of the outfield wall beyond the yellow line: Home Run.
- Batted ball in flight striking vertical yellow line in left-center field or right field corner at a point above the outfield fence and continuing over outfield fence in fair territory: Home Run.
- Batted ball in flight striking vertical yellow line in left-center field or right field corner and rebounding onto the playing field: In Play.
New Bag Policy at GABP
To enhance ballpark security and expedite the screening process, backpacks will no longer be allowed into Great American Ball Park. Acceptable items include purses, medical bags, diaper bags, briefcases, drawstring bags and Reds Heads Kids Club bags along with small soft-sided coolers that do not exceed the 16” x 16” x 8” MLB size requirement.