VideoWeek 1 of Hank Aaron Invitational
MLB Youth Academy participants discuss the Hank Aaron Invitational, which serves as a youth-oriented, on-field diversity initiative
MLB commits up to $150M to Players Alliance
DENVER -- Major League Baseball announced a historic financial commitment of up to $150 million to The Players Alliance. The announcement was made by Commissioner Rob Manfred at Coors Field shortly before Monday night’s Home Run Derby....
Iowa's Field of Dreams to host youth game
A pair of 14U teams representing Chicago and New York City will square off in a special exhibition game in Dyersville, Iowa, on Aug. 11 -- the eve of the Yankees-White Sox showdown in the "MLB at Field of Dreams Presented by GEICO." The 14U game, featuring teams from DREAM...
Reds Youth Academy hosts JRD showcase
Ever since Major League Baseball declared April 15 Jackie Robinson Day back in 2004, the league and the Reds have celebrated the life and legacy of Jackie Robinson in many ways. One of those traditions unique to Cincinnati is the Jackie Robinson Showcase, which returned last weekend as part of...
Reds Youth Academy unites kids, coaches
Despite the ebb and flow of the past 13 months surrounding the pandemic, the Reds Community Fund has reintroduced some of its popular baseball and softball programming. Opportunities to get kids back to the P&G MLB Reds Youth Academy have grown in the last couple months, thanks to the Reds...
VideoMLB's Opening Day
MLB Opening Day presented by Chevrolet
New Orleans MLB Youth Academy to serve as Baseball & Softball "Home Field" for Xavier University of Louisiana beginning in 2021
The New Orleans MLB Youth Academy, which is operated by Major League Baseball, and Xavier University of Louisiana (XULA), a Historically Black College & University (HBCU) in New Orleans, have partnered to help launch the university’s 2021 baseball and softball seasons in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA). This...
Reds & Eric Davis calling all kids to signup for youth baseball & softball
The Cincinnati Reds and World Series Champion Eric Davis are launching a campaign to encourage youth baseball and softball participation in recreational leagues across Greater Cincinnati and Reds Country. “Growing up, I just loved to compete and playing baseball helped me stay active while teaching me teamwork and the value...
Baseball legend Hank Aaron dies at 86
Hank Aaron, a son of the Deep South who soared above its poverty and racism to become one of the most consequential figures in American history, died Friday at age 86. His death prompted an outpouring of tributes from those who’d known him personally or simply been inspired by a...
VideoRemembering Hank Aaron
MLB Network remembers the life and career of legend and Hall of Famer Hank Aaron
Major League Baseball's first Urban Youth Academy was founded in 2006 in Compton, California. As a not-for-profit organization, the UYA aims to set the standard for baseball and softball instruction, teach and educate in Urban America, and enhance the quality of life in the surrounding communities. Major League Baseball has set out four facets to the Urban Youth Initiative:
• Grow the games of baseball and softball while cultivating diversity in all aspects of the game
• Make meaningful contributions to the development of urban communities
• Provide safe and organized recreational activities for urban youth
• Prepare urban high school players for college and professional baseball and softball programs
Our coaching staff consists of highly experienced baseball and softball personnel. We specialize in fundamental instruction by way of open workouts. Our workouts give members practical and theoretical training on the fundamentals of the game, while our educational component aids students in the classroom. We believe the skills learned in baseball and softball can be applied beyond the field, helping to shape a better community.
- 2006: MLB celebrates the grand opening of the first Youth Academy in Compton, Calif.
- 2010: The Houston Astros MLB Youth Academy opens in Sylvester Turner Park in Houston, Tex.
- 2012: A new MLB Youth Academy opens in New Orleans, La. - the first in a non-MLB city.
- 2014: With the help of MLB, the Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy in Washington D.C., and the Cincinnati P&G MLB Youth Academy Cincinnati, Ohio both open
- 2015: The outside field portion of the Philadelphia Phillies MLB Youth Academy officially opens for playing Philadelphia, Pa.
- 2016: The Phillies unveil the indoor portion of their Academy to complete the first two-site MLB Youth Academy. Additionally, MLB, DREAM and New York State announce plans to build a Youth Academy in Roberto Clemente State Park in the Bronx, N.Y.
- 2017: The soft-opening for both the Kansas City Royals MLB Urban Youth Academy in Kansas City, Mo., and the Texas Rangers MLB Youth Academy in West Dallas, Texas.
- In Progress: Academies are set to open in The Bronx, N.Y., Chicago, Ill., and San Francisco, Calif.